Navigation

Laurie Grove Baths

Article

Goldsmiths CCA will be in the water tanks of Laurie Grove Baths which used to be a public swimming pool. It will rejuvenate this part of campus, establishing a new route for visitors from the New Cross Road

Page

 

Laurie Grove Baths is a Grade II listed building, built in 1895-98 and designed by Thomas Dinwiddy in Jacobean style. The building is located on Goldsmiths' campus near New Cross Road in Lewisham and was listed in 1991. The Baths lie to the rear of Deptford Town Hall and are situated within the Deptford Town Hall Conservation Area.

Following the closure of the Baths to the public, Goldsmiths acquired the buildings in 1999 and converted them into studios and teaching rooms for students on the MFAs in Fine Art and Curating. The ‘Baths’, as they are known, house some of the best art school studios in London, and have become the building that symbolises these important, world leading programmes.

The conversion of the steel water tanks that supplied the old pools into a space for making and exhibiting contemporary art completes the cycle of renewal that began in 1999. These tanks are now derelict, but will be brought into use in ways that will strengthen Fine Art at Goldsmiths and provide the local community with a flagship contemporary art gallery.