The Goldsmiths community strategy
Goldsmiths has a long history of engagement with communities. While our reach is world-wide, we have a special commitment to our local communities within south east London.
We've developed innovative approaches to community engagement and development through our world-class research centres and our academic programmes. These combine theoretical investigation with an understanding of impact, implementation and activism within communities.
Goldsmiths is a civic university committed to active involvement with local communities in south east London, as well as London as a whole. We're able to harness global knowledge, economic and social capital to work for the best interests of our local communities and the local economy. Through our presence and work we will continually increase the social, economic, physical, creative, cultural and educational contributions we make to our communities.
How we work with the community
- Hundreds of Goldsmiths students and staff volunteer within the community.
- In 2014/15 Goldsmiths staff and students raised thousands of pounds for local charities. Our students also collected donations for the local foodbank at Deptford Reach to help families over Christmas.
- We have world class researchers working in Goldsmiths and two of our research centres focus on community engagement and community development issues:
- The Centre for Community Engagement Research has created research partnerships between Goldsmiths students and local organisations who need research help.
- The Centre for Urban and Community Research began 20 years ago with research focused on the impact of local regeneration schemes in Lewisham. Today its reach is world-wide.
- We offer room bookings to local non-profit groups for their events at a low charge; sometimes even for free.
- We work with many local schools and run workshops for hundreds of local pupils.
- We run a community access scheme that lets local residents use the Goldsmiths’ library.
- We held over a hundred public lectures and recitals in 2014/15 and we will promote these events more to our local community – everyone is welcome!
- Email communications (@gold.ac.uk)
- Room bookings
- Goldsmiths’ Students’ Union - contact Claudia.turkington (@goldsmithssu.org) for more information about student volunteers.
- Centre for Urban and Community Research
- Centre for Community Engagement Research
- Short courses
- Club Pulse